Monday, February 1, 2010

100201 IN SEARCH OF THE ILLUSIVE RED FIELDS

ROADSIDE BEAUTY

While on a trip in search of the red calaniyot, I stopped at a roadside park as we approached Beit Shemesh. I growth around the water pond caught my attention. The rising sunlight in the background flickered through the leaves and the vegetation swayed in the soft breeze, changing color with changing wind.

HAPPY FACES

I pulled over to the side of the road immediately when I caught a glimpse of these happy faces swaying in the wind. There's just something that makes me happy and want to laugh when I see these bright sunflowers spread their beauty in the fields. I got a lot of cat-calls from passersby as I lay on my stomach to get face to face with these beautys winking at me through the eye of the camera.

Safari Camels Await

Drawing nearer to the location of the calaniyot, I had one last pitstop to make. A small roadside delicatessan which serves vegeterian or cheese sandwiches along with piping hot delicacies. The place was packed out so I took advantage of my 'kind of camels' which were awaiting tourists for a safari into the desert. Okay! So I have a vivid imagination! And they are my 'kind of camel' since they DON'T move. And they were clean and colorfully well groomed. Can't get better than that!

BLANKETS OF RED

We reached our destination and it was well worth the drive south to Be'eri Park. The view was breathtaking! Underneath the sparse forest of trees were blankets of red calaniyot and I was so glad I went on a weekday so I could appreciate the quiet beauty. It seems as though the fields of red are more illusive each year since the seasons are more unpredictable. But it also helps to know where to go when you do go out. The dirt roads of the Be'eri Park were partly washed out after early heavy rains, so driving was unpredictable and I had to maneuver over some rough terrain, or retreat altogether. But walking was no problem and far more enjoyable. Yet, the early rains had a lot to do with making available so much red. I often wonder if the fall of Gush Katif has anything to do with a shortage of numbers in the calaniyot. Since the expulsion of the residents of Gush Katif, each year there is less and less growth in the area that once led to their homes. Areas which were filled with so much color and beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment